Results of testing may be used to determine whether a specific learning disability is present, with consideration of other factors that may be impacting academic potential (such as underlying attention deficits, anxiety, or depression). A psychoeducational assessment includes an evaluation of cognitive abilities, learning potential, academic achievement, and social-emotional functioning.
Psychoeducational evaluations can be useful in the following situations:
- Academic underachievement
- Determination of eligibility for Special Education services
- Attentional deficits, with consideration of an ADHD diagnosis
- Learning issues, with determination of a specific learning disorder
- Social, emotional, or behavioral difficulties within the classroom environment