At PCH, we prefer to put names and faces to the philosophy guiding our approach whenever possible. To better accomplish that, we will begin sharing the firsthand perspectives of the people behind our treatment programs with monthly staff interviews.
Read more of our conversation with Group Therapist and Yoga Instructor, Yochai Weiss, E-RYT 500, and the five questions about his guiding philosophy and principles.
1. What does “mental health” mean to you?
Maintaining an ongoing practice of awareness of one’s conscious experience to better respond to external stimulations and triggers.
2. What inspires you most at PCH?
The many opportunities to introduce interested clients to basic mind-body movements, increase self-awareness of one’s posture, and implementing deliberate breath works practices to aid self-regulation for more effective responsiveness when confronting daily stresses and anxieties.
3. What’s your top three favorite movies?
Top 3?! Ugh. Ok: well today they are: 12 Monkeys, The Fisher King, and The Hustler
4. What’s your superpower?
I don’t have any superpowers. I’m a human being.
5. Top three book recommendations and why?
1) Dr. Seuss’ The Sneetches, so that all the Sneetches can forget about stars, whether they had one, or not, upon thars.
2) Bill Bryson’s A Short History of Nearly Everything, well… because it pretty much covers a short history of nearly everything
3) Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, because it’s a fantastic example of using absurdity to reflect humanity’s nature.